Monday, October 15, 2007

A Vow

Let my Knittas be my witnesses.

I hearby swear off buying any new yarn until (at LEAST) January, 2008.

Yes, I'm going on a yarn diet.

I've never really, TRULY felt the need to go on a yarn diet before. I've always just accepted the natural accumulation of yarn that has come from being a fiber-holic, and the natural accumulation of UFOs and WIPs that come from being a process knitter. It's always been about the challenge of a new pattern, the triumph of getting a design out of my head, onto a page, and then onto the needles (even if it never comes OFF of the needles). But I think things are getting a bit out of hand.

See, I have this weird categoric memory -- ask Kid SSK. We rock climb together, and I have this bizarre ability to remember every route she or I have pretty much EVER climbed at the Sunnyvale Planet Granite. It used to be the same with my yarn. I was always able to remember exactly where and when I bought any of the yarn in my stash, and what I had intended to make with it. But I was looking in my stash this past weekend, in preparation for the great Destash and Stash Organization of 2007 (Take 2 -- don't ask), and I came across several skeins that I swear I've never seen before.

This is a problem.

So, the yarn diet. It's time, it must be. Now, I know that two and a half months of yarn dieting may not seem like a lot, but I just don't want to set myself up for failure. Also, please note that we are coming into the height of Holiday Knitting Season, which is historically a period of yarn-buying weakness and knitting insanity for me. I've already gotten a good start on knitting socks for everyone I know, and have a huge stockpile of sock yarn (mostly accumulated within the last month), so I'm thinking I should be okay. Also, with my new found love of spinning, I'm in danger of spending the REST of my income on fiber, so something has to give.

You heard it here first, girls. And I'm really going to need your support on this. NO NEW YARN FOR MCR UNTIL THE NEW YEAR.*

*The only exception is exchanging the second hideous skein of CTH variegated sock yarn that I just bought. This doesn't count as buying new yarn since the money has already been spent. ;)

2 comments:

lil purl aka Beth said...

a yarn diet!? that sounds worse than a food diet. i shall support you my fellow knitta! i've been on a major yarn binge for the last couple of weeks so i think a yarn fasting is in order. what is that saying? misery loves company? =)

Snoop Frog ~~~@ said...

GASP. I am *shocked*. I can't believe I feel so behind the times, too.

Well... I applaud your effort, and will try to be a pillar of strength upon which you can lean. I will NOT be like those folks on the Yarn Diet Support Forums: "Oh, don't worry about it, sweetie! Of COURSE you can't say no to hand-spun like that!"