Friday, September 28, 2007

Mr. Green jeans Update

Yay! I'm finally onto the cable/rib section of my Mr. Greenjeans. When I started my Seamus cardigan, the stockinette stitch is what did me in. The cable and rib section of the Mr. Green jeans is enough repetition and interest to keep me going. I also love that it's practically a one piece top down construction (except for the button band where I have to pick up stitches later) but really that's no biggie since there's no seaming! Yahoo!!!!

Of course, this project has not been completely trouble free. I've had quite a number of stumbles along the way (too many to probably mention). My poor fiance had to endure my colorful language for the last few days. Oh well, it's par for the course. Following the pattern, I made the mistake of using the smaller size needle to start the cable/rib section. Although the pattern calls for this, I should have known this wouldn't work as the needle they recommended for the rib/cable part was too small when I did my initial gauge swatch. Long story short, I had to frog a good 3 inches (start again at the stockinette portion) of cable/rib when I finally had the sense to try it on! That hurt! I know I know, I'm stealing snoop's style. =)

After I fixed that problem, I then realized that somewhere along the way, I was knitting with one size 7 needle and one size 9 needle. This must have happened when I changed needles after my gauge snafu. Such an absent minded dork!! I love love love these knitpicks option needles but this confusion can certainly happen, esp. with me! See if you can tell the difference:



Then, after I fixed that problem, I realized that I had missed TWO cable twists! At this point, I was a little beside myself but decided to buckle down and try to fix it myself! So, I dropped the stitches I had made and tried to retwist the cables. Here's what I did:
































Not bad, eh? I apologize for the sideways pic of the final fix. I couldn't figure out how to flip that.


With that, I am go go go! Hopefully, I'll get to the sleeves by Monday. I'm off to the Oakland knit/crochet show with my knittas on Sunday so I'm sure we'll have plenty of stories and yarn to show and tell.

So far:

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW, lil purl! i'm so impressed by your knitterly persistence and craftiness. next time i screw up a cable, i'm TOTALLY bringing my project to you to fix. woo hoo!

Chelsea said...

You are a ridiculously fast knitter! GO YOU. And? I tried to fix a cable on CPH...yeah I had to rip back 10 rows...it didn't work out so well for me so I'm super impressed!

Snoop Frog ~~~@ said...

Talk about a comedy of errors. Good thing you're so clever and determined. And I certainly couldn't see the difference in the needles. :0(