Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Quick Update, No pics, but lots of links to keep you busy!

So, last year for Christmas, I made my best friend (the other one -- the one that isn't KidSSK) a pair of tabi socks. They were made out of Knitpicks Essential, on size 0 needles, and I vowed I would never, ever, EVER make socks for a boy EVER again. EVER. Not that they weren't cool and fun to knit, but holy crapmonkeys -- that's a lot of tiny stitches and a lot of tiny rows.

It turns out, that knitting boy socks on size 1.75 (2.75mm) needles with squishy, fantabulous yarn (yarn that I don't ever want to stop touching. Yarn I want to eat for lunch. Yarn I want to marry.) makes the process go a lot, lot faster!

I started the first sock Sunday afternoon and, after ripping and reknitting the ribbed cuff four or five times before getting the stitch count, ribbing and pattern right all at the same time, I'm just about to start decreasing the toe.

YAY.

Good thing BMP is lined up after Green Tea, in more Risata!

4 comments:

geekgirl said...

So, are socks hard to make? I have never knit any, but I am lusting over the Norwegian socks I have seen posted.

Adrienne said...

Socks are A BLAST. Ask K Bull -- I think she's a fan, too. The first pair you make is always a bit weird, but trust the pattern and things usually come out okay. There are some great sock patterns out there, and the Norwegian Stockings is definitely one of them, though I'm not sure I'd recommend them as your FIRST sock pattern (unless you're some kind of colorwork knitting genius, which is entirely possible).

geekgirl said...

I'm actually a colorwork virgin as well...so maybe not the Norwegian stockings to start. What pattern would you recommend for me to pop my sock cherry with?

Adrienne said...

Hey Geekgirl--

there are a CRAPLOAD or socks patterns online, on Knitty and on Magknits that would be perfect to start with. If you've knit lace, one of my favorite sock patterns is Hedera, from Knitty:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATThedera.html

it's only a 4 row repeat, and two of those rows are knitting with a purl here and there, so the lace part isn't a huge deal. This is a traditional, cuff-down sock with a gusset heel, and Cookie A writes a mean sock pattern.

I also highly recommend learning the magic loop. Unless you LIKE knitting with a porcupine's worth of dpns!